The Advanced Women’s Health PCOS Program
At AWH we realize that you are unique and therefore you need a plan that is customized to your individual needs. We also realize that the advice to ‘just lose weight’ is far from helpful! Insulin resistance and inflammation can affect your ability to improve and therefore we assess and customize your nutrition and supplement plan to those factors in our three phase plan.
Phase 1 – Understand and Customize
Insulin resistance and high androgens are at the root of PCOS. Research has made it clear that addressing these factors is what helps to restore fertility, reduce acne and hair loss and support weight regulation.
In the first appointment you can expect that your Naturopathic Doctor will take time to hear your unique symptoms. We will also help you to understand what is happening in your body so that you can understand what we will do to fix it. We don’t just tackle your PCOS symptoms though, we are always looking for thyroid hormone issues, digestive issues, underlying infections, stress hormone imbalances, liver dysfunction and much much more!
At the end of this appointment you can expect to leave with:
- Basic diet and lifestyle recommendations
- Personalized herbal and nutrient recommendations
- Where appropriate, in house testing for your adrenal health, gut health, and/or body impedance analysis
- Lab test recommendations may include insulin and glucose testing, FSH, LH, androgens, female sex hormones such as Estradiol and progesterone, a full thyroid assessment, inflammation investigations and liver and cholesterol testing. We use both functional tests and standard blood tests to come to understand your health better.
After we receive the results of your testing your ND will explain all of the findings. No blanket normal statements here, we want to ensure you understand what it all means. From that point we will customize a meal system and supplements to your specific needs.
Phase 2- Tweak and Monitor
After supporting insulin sensitivity and using herbal medicines to help with adrenal and hormone balance it is time to tackle residual symptoms. It is very common for women with PCOS to experience a variety of health concerns, these include:
- Thyroid hormone imbalances and Hashimotos
- Gut problems such as bloating, constipation, loose stools, pain
- Liver and gallbladder concerns including fatty liver, gallbladder pain
- Rashes and skin issues
- Yeast infections
Some or all of these concerns may have been taken care of by this phase but any remaining issues are tackled head on!
Three months after embarking on your plan we will also be retesting insulin, inflammation markers and any other important tests. This allows us to make sure that you are improving as expected and making your way into Phase 3.
Phase 3- Flourish and Maintain
Unfortunately, there is no cure for PCOS. This means that maintaining your diet and lifestyle will be important to ensuring that you remain as symptom free as possible. But life happens, right? We all fall off and experience set backs so this phase helps to keep you on track, judgement free! For some this is a semi annual check up or kick start community program, and for others they move right into our Healthy Mom, Happy Baby program. No matter what this looks like for you we are here 100% of the way!