Acupuncture is a centuries old technique that involves the insertion of very fine needles at strategic points throughout the body. There are a variety of approaches to acupuncture that can be used depending on the presenting concern.
Traditional chinese medicine acupuncture is based on the understanding that illness is caused by an imbalance of energy, known as Qi (pronounced chee), and therefore uses an understanding of how specific herbs and acupuncture points work to rebalance that energy. Given that this form of acupuncture is very individualized it makes it hard to research and as such researchers have taken to using standardized protocols to investigate the benefits of acupuncture. This brings us to another approach to acupuncture which involves using evidence-based protocols from the research.
Research suggests that acupuncture can effectively:
- Increase circulation
- Modulate the immune system
- Support hormonal balance, cycle regularity and period pain
- Induce ovulation in PCOS
- Support endometriosis pain and lesion size
- Aid in the conception support and reduce miscarriages
- Support labour preparation and pain
- Decrease pain involved with medical procedures
- Help with musculoskeletal pain
- Much more – for more information on your condition click here.
A final approach to acupuncture, contemporary medical acupuncture, focuses on local treatment for pain, swelling, to increase mobility and support healing of injuries. This involves an understanding of how acupuncture points can affect muscle fibers and the nervous system.
At AWH we believe in using the best components of each acupuncture practice. Our Naturopathic Doctors combine traditional chinese and evidence based protocols to achieve the best results for their patients.