There is nothing quite like bloating, gas and digestive issues to ruin your day! These issues are way too common in women and very often dismissed as normal. If your pants fit in the morning and are tight in the afternoon, if you have bothersome gas, unpredictable poops, heartburn or pain in your gut, these are signs of a bigger issues. They are not normal!
Outside of your gut itself there are many conditions and signs that your body is giving you to indicate your gut might need some work. If you are experiencing any of these it’s time for a gut check!
- Autoimmune conditions
- Joint pain and inflammation
- Weight loss resistance
- Liver issues
- Period pain/ endometriosis
- Heavy periods
- Yeast infections
- Chronic UTIs
- Interstitial cystitis
- Much more!
DID YOU KNOW…?
Irritable bowel syndrome, or IBS, is often a sign of a bacterial imbalance where bacteria are over growing in the intestinal tract. This can be ‘bad’ bacteria or yeast, or more commonly in IBS, your normal good bacteria overgrowing in the small intestine. This is known as SIBO, and is one of the number one causes of IBS. Now this overgrowth is not easily fixed by antibiotics and they can even make the imbalance worse in certain situations.This is where Naturopathic Medicine shines! We use a variety of herbal treatments, nutrient changes and targeted probiotics and nutraceuticals to rebalance and support gut health.
The Advanced Women’s Health Digestion Restoration Program
At AWH we realize that you are unique and therefore you need a plan that is customized to your individual needs! This is especially true of digestive issues! The different microbes in your digestive system form a personalized ecosystem. Each person has such an individual composition that it is critical for us to understand what is out of balance before taking action to treat. If you have IBD (inflammatory bowel disease) your treatment will be very different from someone who has IBS or heartburn. At AWH we customize our nutrient recommendations, supplements and lab testing to your needs in our three phase system.
Phase 1 – Understand and Customize
What you eat, how you think, how you were born and your antibiotics exposures are all huge factors involved in how your digestive system functions. In order to reduce your troublesome symptoms we need to understand all of these components.
In the first appointment you can expect that your Naturopathic Doctor will take time to hear your unique symptoms. We will also help you to understand what is happening in your body so that you can understand what we will do to fix it.
At the end of this appointment you can expect to leave with:
- Basic diet and lifestyle recommendations
- Personalized herbal and nutrient recommendations
- Where appropriate, in house testing for your adrenal health, gut health, nervous system balance and/or bioelectrical impedance analysis
- Lab test recommendations may include an autoimmune panel, digestive health tests (such as SIBO breath testing, stool analysis, organic acids testing), a full thyroid assessment, inflammation investigations, liver and cholesterol testing. We use both functional tests and standard blood tests to come to understand your health better.
After we receive the results of your testing your ND will explain all of the findings. No blanket normal statements here, we want to ensure you understand what it all means. From that point we will customize a meal system and supplements to your specific needs.
Phase 2- Tweak and Monitor
Your digestive system is a living and breathing entity all its own. Dr. Sarah has been known to say that you have more bacteria, yeast and other microbes than human cells, and therefore ensuring a healthy balance of these creatures is critical to health. When treating the digestive system it is very common to unravel layers of required treatment. After treating the large scale imbalances we will need to work to support digestive health in the following ways.
- Add back healthy bacteria and yeast species to prevent recurrence of issues
- Ensure that stomach acid levels are adequate.
- Balance nutrients that can become deficient when you have digestive issues: such as iron, B12, antioxidants
- Address nervous system issues and stress patterns
- Understand your personal genetic predisposition and support vulnerable areas
- Manage inflammation
- Support liver health, metabolism and hormones (because there are all controlled by gut function!)
Some or all of these concerns may have been taken care of by this phase but any remaining issues are tackled head on!
When your symptoms have stabilized and balance returns this is an indication that you are ready to move to Phase 3! Congratulations!
Phase 3- Flourish and Maintain
When you are feeling amazing it is easy to slip back into old habits that brought down your energy, affected your waistline and contributed to inflammation in the body. At AWH we are not about to let that happen! We want you to maintain your ‘best self’ feeling and therefore we have programs to support that. Whether you join one of our proactive health programs, drop in to our talks or group events, or come in for your semi annual reset appointment, we have you set up from long term success. We are here for you 100% of the way!